Thursday, December 22, 2011

Do you hear what I hear?

If we put together a soundtrack for our trip to Mississipi, it would certainly be an eclectic compilation. Of course it would include some famous Delta blues. But also the whirring of screws driven into drywall and the satisfying clunk of hammers on nails. The pop music streamed from iPods through car radios all the way down I55. The clamor of pots and pans accompanying preparation of meals in the dorm kitchen. But the first single from this hypothetical album has to be one of the beautiful Christmas carols sung by the children's choir at the Tutwiler community Christmas pageant on Tuesday night. We had the wonderful privilege to attend this annual event at the town's community center. We were welcomed by Sister Maureen, who coordinates the classes, after-school programs, and community events that happen at the center. Just watching Sister Maureen for a few minutes, I could tell she was another amazing force for good in her community.

The kids were decked out for the program, half in candy cane antennaes, half in various nativity scene garb. They impressed me with their acting skills during their Christmas skit, but the part of the pageant that has lodged itself in my heart was the singing. Hearing their strong, proud, joyous voices singing carols all together gave me chills. Those songs will be playing in my head whenever I think back about my experiences in Tutwiler as a symbol for the beauty that can come from collaboration and unity. Maybe it's too much import to place on an off-pitch performance of some well-worn tunes. But the meaning resonates and I think it will continue to do so for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment